12.23-Those who have lost loved ones at Christmas time.

12.23-


I like to think of family reunions of my those who have moved to heaven. The fun we had at Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. I miss them all the time. I miss them more at this time of year.
 
My dad passed on this date 13 years ago.  Doesn’t seem that long.  He was known for slicing the ham and turkey at the holidays and placing an envelope in the tree that was his Christmas shopping.  In it was money for mom to get the kind of dress that she might like.  He was sure of her love for him and his love for her.  It seemed to never weaken.
 

One of the mothers of Newtown school shooting lost a daughter, Catherine, She also had a son who walked out of the elementary school. She was on television this morning.

She said that when people had asked for a place to donate in memory of
Catherine, they had pointed them to an animal shelter because Katherine loved animals. This shelter suggested an animal sanctuary might be befitting of her. This resonated with the family because Katherine seemed to see her best self in the eyes of the animals she loved. So they established this sanctuary for sheep and deer and other animals in Katherine’s honor. This was what they felt Katherine would like.

Then the mother was asked about her attitude toward the killer and his mother. Have you been able to “forgive the mother?”.

She said that their family had a rule that they didn’t judge people.

Her host asked her if it was her faith that had helped her. She said, "Yes, definitely."

When asked about her faith Katherine’s mom said, “I’m sorry to say that I wasn’t sure of my faith, until Katherine was killed. I am sorry that it may have taken something like that to get me to reflect on my faith. But regardless, I know I will see Katherine after this life is over." She indicated that she wanted to live in such a way that was consistent with the love her daughter had in her life.

She said, "I find my faith teaching me not to judge anyone. That is not my job. I don’t judge the killer’s mother or him. That is not my job. I don’t know what they walked through in their life. I do not judge. I don’t want to carry that toxic poison in my heart for all my life. I want to help other children and other people to enjoy and great life and be all they can be. For an animal sanctuary to be available to children is a chance for them to go and be with animals and have their own self image uplifted. That is what my life is about now since Katherine’s death."

Wow!

Hebrews 12.
12 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 [a]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the [b]author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

From the Christian perspective we are running a race down here and we need to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus who is the one who started our faith and will finish our faith’s journey with us. He saw joy on the other side of death. He encouraged us to all have this same hope. Over there we will rejoin those we love who have chosen to live a life of love.

Merry Christmas to all of you who have lost loved ones and think of them at this time of year.

Larry Wishard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see