2.11-Scars. They change us.

2.11

Went to the doctor today and got the staples out of her Sheila’s scalp.

I guess I should go back and catch some of you up on the story.

As I woke up to a new sunrise Saturday morning (2/7/19), things were not the same. I was looking at my life from a new perspective. I was very open-eyed about how fragile life is.

Sheila had a severe gash in her head from an accident in our kitchen Friday night. She had reached for the refrigerator door, but missed. She lost her balance and fell and hit her head on the corner of the countertop. 911, firetrucks, firemen, EMTs, ambulance ride, eight staples, and amazingly, not as much pain as you would expect from a three-inch gash in her scalp.

I had some dark thoughts while waiting in the ER. I must have looked like a zombie from the way Jeff and Donna described me. I think my world and how I thought it would always be was broken. Life would not continue forever like it had for 52 years of our partnership. In the next few days I would have to find a new way to look at my life with less security that things would always be as I planned them to be.

I got a new understanding of the heart of Jesus in this process -- especially when I saw the fireman on the floor swabbing up the blood for us. Jesus poured out His blood and His life to clean up our life. Just as the fireman was cleaning up this mess, Jesus has been cleaning up the mess of my life for years and years.

Sheila was extremely calm, peaceful and experienced less pain than expected except for that staple gun on her head. She has a new scar. It tells a new chapter of who she is. She is more aware of the faithfulness of God and so am I. She is not loaded down with fear as much as full of gratefulness for the helpers that came to our aid. First responders run in when others run out. They run to pain instead of away from it as do the doctor, nurses and other people helpers. Thank God for them.

Scars speak and give confidence. Jesus held His hands out to a doubting Thomas and changed His life and all of those who walk in the steps of doubt. Look at the scars from the scalp of Jesus’ contact with thorns. Feel the scars on His hands and feet. Stick your hand into the pierced side of Jesus and you touch reality beyond death and the grave.

I am sorry Sheila went through this. I am thankful for her healing and victory over it. She is back doing about everything she was doing last week. She knows even more God’s love for her and the care of people in our wonderful community of North Richland Hills. I hope she finds out more and more how much her family and friends, and especially her husband, love and need her.

John 20.
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called [d]Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 [e]After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been [f]shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”


Larry Wishard
2.7.19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It1XzDf-pFo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see