Relax when around policemen and everyone.


Relax.
I can get very nervous around people I don't know. I get uptight partially because I want to come off as better person than I am.  (Especially policemen) This morning in my reading I was reminded: "If you are a disciple of Jesus you can relax.  God is in control." 
Twice in the past year I have been driving and not noticing my speed as I should when a servant of God, (read Policeman) was noticing my speed.  They turned on their lights.  I pulled over. I tried to pray and be "at ease". Both men appeared to see that I was relaxed.  They asked some questions and checked my records and they chose to give me a warning instead of a ticket which I deserved and I told them so. (Do you remember John Candy in Trains, Planes and Automobiles?)
I like the way Eugene Peterson describes Jesus' teaching about how to life a good life:
Matthew 6.30-33 “If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
34 “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

Relax. Jesus teaches that God is in charge of the life of the authorities, policemen, city, state and national leaders. (Romans 13) Relax. God is in control.  No one taught more about the kingdom of God than Jesus. Relax. Authorities are over Christians.  God our Father in heaven is over the authorities.

Larry Wishard
 
 
 Intensive Daily Bible Reading

If you have ten minutes, read Jesus from the Gospels.

(Read prayerfully seeking guidance from Jesus for your personal situation.)

If you have thirty minutes, read Jesus and the New Testament selection.

If you have forty minutes, read Jesus, the New Testament and a Psalm selection.

If you have an hour, read all the readings.

Think of this time as an intimate conversation with your Father in Heaven.

Listen for something of His love from His heart to yours today.

 

Date: 1/5/13

 

Read a chapter of Jesus : Matthew 5.

Read a chapter from Acts:5

Read a chapter from this New Testament Book: Romans 5.

Read a paragraph from a Holy Spirit inspired older teacher to a younger teacher 1 Timothy 2.1-7

Read a verse about the beauty of the Word of God Psalm 119.5

Read a couple of chapters from the Old Testament: Genesis 9,10

Read a few verses from Wisdom Literature: Job 5.1-7 

Read a Psalm: 5.

Read a few verses from Proverbs: 5.1-2

Comments

Terry Rush said…
Good point. So needed. Psalm 46:10 is a winner.

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see