In Memory of my Brother, Reed Wishard, Birthday 3.9.


My brother, Reed, is on far left, my brother, Bill, my sister Hazanne Luttrell, Mom, me and Dad.



Yesterday was filled with thoughts of many things, but in the quiet of the evening, my mind turned to my brother whose birthday was yesterday. He passed from this life on October the 28th, 2004.

He was a student of Jesus Christ.  He had a personality to be available to help people in need.  His beloved wife, Gene, was a great help-meet. They were a terrific team  assisting youth who needed support. They were house parents at Boles Home, Quinlan, Texas. They took others under their wings to help them even when they were not at the home. They were strong members in the church, the body of Jesus Christ.

Reed looked at the world differently than most. He had the eyes of his heart open to the long view of eternity. He was not one who had most of his treasure in things on this earth. Don’t get me wrong. He enjoyed the things of this world as a celebration of life under God’s guidance. He loved pecan pie and Blue Bell ice cream as well as anyone. He was not a humorless, ascetic type of guy. He could laugh at himself and help you to laugh at yourself. He walked to the beat of a different drum.

He could be a tough-love teacher when needed. Don’t ask his opinion about something you believed or did unless you wanted the truth as he saw it. He was willing to share freely his real self. His security in God’s care made him willing to live a trusting lifestyle. Sometimes people took advantage of his good nature, but he did not carry resentments.
He believed in the good news that Jesus Christ was the Son of God who came to the world ,not to judge the world , but to save the world. He was totally opposed to pretense and hypocrisy in his own life as well as others. He wanted to be sincere and real and expected others to be. He didn’t appreciate those who discounted the common people.

I remember when I decided I wanted to move from school teaching into full-time church ministry, he told me he could support that decision. He had one strong word for me. “Do not be partial to the rich. Care for the poor as well as the rich.”  
He loved the power of reading and understanding the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.  He and Gene had several worn out Bibles around their house. For them it was more the walk than the talk. They were anxious to teach God’s Word to their children, Alan and Gena, other family members, their friends and young people.

The Father in heaven always cared for Reed and I believe He did so on October 28, 2004, as well as all the days of his life. I miss him.

3.10.14
Larry Wishard




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see