When we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work-Wendell Berry

Yesterday, I started the day thinking everything was going okay with everyone.  During the day I had an old friend I reconnected with who had lost his wife to cancer.  Next I conversed with a business owner who said her life had been extremely hard and the business she started almost folded.  Later, salesman I spoke to told me that he had a nice house in a rich section of North Richland Hills and worked internationally. His wife, who was taking care of her mother, had a stroke and lost many of her abilities and much kidney function.  He told me that when these things happen you "live in the moment".  I had just finished reading a line in Anne Lamott's new book, Small Victories,  which I shared with him.

"When you are on the knife's edge--when nobody knows exactly what will happen next, only that it will be worse--you take in today." 

She quotes Wendell Berry​

"it may be that when we no longer know what to do,
we have come to our real work,
and that when we no longer know which way to go,
we have begun our real journey.
The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
The impeded stream is the one that sings."

Before I went to bed I had encountered a couple of other people who were facing hard circumstances, but told me that they "were doing pretty good."

God's children are resilient.
Larry Wishard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see