Determined people can be so beautiful in wheel chairs


I'm not as good at tenderly caring for the bruised and hurting as I would like to be.  I see them.  Yesterday,

-I watched a woman who was in a wheel chair push herself up a small hill in a parking lot so she could cross two lanes of busy Bedford traffic and then roll back down an incline in the street beside cars to get from one medical building to another because there was no sidewalk.  She came out and wheeled herself back up the hill and returned across two lanes of traffic.  A man was with her, but was not pushing her.

-A bit later I saw a man who appeared to be seventy struggle to get a handicap motor chair to help him from the parking lot into the Walmart store.  He gave some money to a person to get him to bring one out to his car.  He was determined to get inside and get things and he did it.

-There was a woman appearing to be 95 and bent 3/4 forward and her 75 year old daughter who grabbed a cart from the parking lot to help them get into the store.  They too were determined.

-Then there was the man who rode up in an electric cart from the store to his nice, big red truck.  He was directly in front of where I was sitting.

I was trying to read a book about how to be a better follower of Jesus.  As I looked up he was sitting there wiping his eyes.  He was a big, strong looking man of six feet tall and 60 years old who appeared to be sitting on his motorized shopping basket and crying.  I would like to tell you I jumped up from my seat and ran to his assistance.  I did not.  I was reading about Jesus instead.

What is wrong with me?  I wanted a store person to come and help.  I saw a police observation tower and I wanted them to come and assist him.  They didn't.  I wanted other customers who were coming and going to help him.  They passed on by because they seemed to be so busy and focused and some talking on their phones.

After several minutes and much resistance I got up out of my car and walked ten steps and asked him, "Can I help you?" 
"Yes, could you take these groceries and put them in the passenger seat.  I need to go back and get some things I forgot.  I don't have the energy to get up and do that and go back also.  I just had surgery a week ago because of diabetes. I had a care flight to the hospital to have some veins stripped out of my leg and can hardly move."

I said, "Sure. No problem."

He headed back inside.

I am amazed at all these strong-hearted people around me who are hurt and bruised but determined to do all they can for themselves.

He came back several minutes later.  I approached again to try to recover from my failure. 
"Can I put this in the passenger seat also?"

"Yes." he said.

"Are you sure you can drive?  I can take you home."

"No, I'm fine.  Thanks for the help."

I got back in my car and watched him.  He sat there a while.  He got his energy.  He stood and moved himself into the driver seat.  He left his left leg hanging out for a while.  Then he seemed to take his left arm and pulled his left leg up into the pick up.  He cranked the truck and started to back out slowly with some observation in his left review mirror.  It was a close call because a car was right behind him, but he didn't hit the car.

I saw many determined people yesterday.  I want to be that determined to change and be more ready to extend help to people when I can. 

"Lord thank you for the determined people who help themselves.  Thank you for family and friends who help others.
Lord help me to do better. Amen.

"He gave them power...... to tenderly care for the bruised and hurt lives.
"
Matthew 10.1(The Message)

Larry Wishard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see