3.12-What does playing football in the front yard have to do with following Jesus?

John 1.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and[b] is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

When I was thirteen or so and later at age twenty I was greatly impacted by a couple of guys I thought of together today as I read these verses.   Bill Luttrell and John Davis.  They were both teachers and ministers who got down close to their students.  They played games and tricks.  They laughed.  They both had Jesus Christ, the Word, as their example in life.  Through them I came to see that being a Christian was not something stuffy and old, but something young and exciting.  An adventure in growing joy day by day.

I went to Red Oak Springs Christian camp in Newton Texas.  What a fun week.  Later I went to college and lived in Bill Luttrell's home for two years.  Played football on the front lawn many days.  Both guys followed a teacher who was the word made flesh.  He came from heaven and made His dwelling down on earth with us.  He was a magnificent man who lived a life of grace and truth. These two words make life on earth great.  Grace and truth.

I am thankful today for Bill Luttrell and John Davis and their ability to show me life as a disciple of Jesus close up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see