5.11- Reflections on the Lord's Supper

5.11-

One year ago today, 5.4.19, a wonderful, young Christian writer died from a brain tumor. What a loss. I post this in her memory today.

Her reflections on the Lords's Supper

"On a given Sunday morning I might spot six or seven people who have wronged or hurt me, people whose politics, theology, or personalities drive me crazy. The church is positively crawling with people who don’t deserve to be here…starting with me.

But the table can transform even our enemies into companions. The table reminds us that, as brothers and sisters adopted into God’s family and invited to God’s banquet, we’re stuck with each other; we’re family. We might as well make peace. The table teaches us that faith isn’t about being right or wrong or good or in agreement. Faith is about feeding and being fed. …
In my struggle to find church, I’ve often felt that if I could just find the right denomination or the right congregation, If I could just become the right person or believe just the right things, then my search would be over at last. But right’s got nothing to do with it. Waiting around for right will leave you waiting around forever.

The church is God saying: “I’m throwing a banquet, and all these mismatched, messed-up people are invited. Here have some wine.”
P. 152, 153, Rachel Held Evans, Searching For Sunday

Matthew 26.
26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and [h]after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” 27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
30 After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see