6.17- Memorial Day is Always Humbling

 6.17-

Memorial Day is Always Humbling                                                              Ron Rose

    Not too many years ago, I walked... barefoot on the sands of Normandy--standing alone on awe-inspiring Omaha beach. In the gentle sounds of the waves, I could hear echoes of bullets, exploding shells, and the constant cries of war. I buried my toes deeper in the sand of fear and sacrifice. And, as I walked up and down that sacred place, I was overwhelmed by indebtedness and gratitude.

    More than 130,000 troops were crammed onto 1,000 transport ships. None of them wanted to die that morning, but thousands did. They died for my freedom. They died so I could, on this day, choose to come to Norman--free--and wiggle my toes in that sand. They died so I could feel their presence and remember...and so I could say, "Thank you!”

    The coastal wall was fortified with tank-top turrets and extensive barbed wire; thousands of mines were set to deter the landing craft and four divisions of Germans waited, confident they were  ready for anything. But, they were not prepared for the power of sacrifice.

    The men of the 1st and 29th Divisions and a handful of Rangers finally broke through; they had arrived to stay. By late that night 34,000 men were ashore alive, with more to follow.

    The engineers on the landing crafts, had transformed this quiet beach into a major seaport--overnight. I watched it all on an old newsreel and felt it all in the sand.

    By the time it was over, close to 5,000 men died on this sand and nearby rock walls. They gave their lives for us. They died for their children and their children's children. And, that sacrifice makes this sand sacred ground! I pushed my bare feet deeper in this storied sand and stood there in silence.

    We have trouble with sacrifice. Our culture has grown so self-centered that I am fearful that true sacrifice, like the word itself, has become more of a concept, than an action.

    For the Jesus follower, sacrifice isn't a game to play in order to manipulate the outcome, it's a lifestyle that focuses on making God look good, even when it costs us, even when it costs us our lives.

    Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice. He lived for us; He lived to show us how to put God's glory ahead of our own; He fought to win our war with Satan. And, He died winning that war. Father, thank you ... help us remember more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see