7.3- When an occasion of practising some virtue offered,

 7.3-

When an occasion of practising some virtue offered, I addressed myself to God, saying, Lord, I cannot do this unless Thou enablest me: and that then I received strength more than sufficient. That when I had failed in my duty, I only confessed my fault, saying to God, I shall never do otherwise, if You leave me to myself; ’tis You must hinder my falling, and mend what is amiss. That after this, I gave myself no further uneasiness about it. —Brother Lawrence, page 12

Luke 18
Now He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the [e]temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began praying this in regard to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, crooked, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to raise his eyes toward heaven, but was beating his chest, saying, ‘God, be [f]merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other one; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

All reactions:
Tom Wishard, Vickie Sanchez and 3 others
1
Like
Comment
Share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6.12- The teacher and his group.

6.10- The Power of Keeping a Confidence

4.2- The right kind of freedom versus the wrong kind of freedom.