1.12- “My profession is to me a ministry from God.”

 1.12-

 

On September 8, 2003 my wife and I toured the National Statuary Hall Collection in the United States Capitol  which is composed of statues donated by individual states to honor persons notable in their history. They are limited to two per state. 

In my journal I made a note that Georgia had given a statue of Crawford Long M.D., the discoverer of the use of sulphuric ether as an anesthetic in surgery on March 30, 1842 at Jefferson, Jackson County Georgia.  The quote from him said,  

“My profession is to me a ministry from God.” 

These beautiful rooms in the Capitol I thought looked strong, rich and permanent.  They were constructed to give a sense of long term purpose, yet the democratic experiment which is America is comparatively young.    

When I saw what happened in these halls yesterday it reminded me that no democratic nation can stand without a commitment to truth,  justice and peace.  Lawlessness and senseless destruction is not a path to an improved democracy.   But what if the horrible events of yesterday caused the members of congress to be prayed for more and it caused them to pray for themselves more?  What if it caused them to deliberately eat together at the same table and work out together at the same gym and pray together without regard for their party and position?  What if the work they did was deepened in their hearts as a ministry of God, who is love?  Maybe this would be a path to overcome evil with good.

Romans 12.

17 Never repay evil for evil to anyone. [t]Respect what is right in the sight of all people. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but [u]leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written: “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Larry Wishard

1.07.21

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see