7.18-What does it mean to be a salt and light in this dark world?

7.18
Matthew 5.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a [f]hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a [g]basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
 


Liu Xiaobo’s, the famous Chinese dissident passed recently.

I read his Nobel Lecture I began to think about the kind of voice that is needed to share significant ideas on social media effectively. I placed his ideas into a list of resolutions for myself.

I will lead a life of honesty, responsibility and dignity.
I will have no enemies and no hatred.
I will respect the integrity of others who disagree with me.
I will respect the professions of others.
I will remember that hatred rots away a person’s intelligence and conscience.
I will remember that enemy mentality will poison the spirit of a nation.
I will help others who disagree with me to have their freedom and human dignity.
I will overcome hostility with goodwill.
I will dispel hatred with love.
I will be gentle and restore mutual affection among people of all races, political parties and religions.
I will make sure that my personal white board of social media provides affection and peace among all people regardless of their different interests and values.
I will keep using the standards of Jesus to encourage creative solutions instead of hateful solutions.
I will keep in mind that in all healthy communities there are certain matters that are “disputable matters”. In those areas I will turn all judgement over to God who knows what is best.
I will do what I can to restore tolerance among my friends.
I will do all that I can to create a harmonious society.
I will keep believing in the human quest for freedom and hope.
I will stay full of hope and optimism.
I will keep the belief that where views that differ can be discussed without fear there will be spiritual growth.
I will stand for the reality that freedom of expression is the key to preserving all human rights.

“To strangle freedom of speech is to trample on human rights, stifle humanity, and suppress truth.”
Liu Xiaobo, Nobel Prize Winner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see