4.7- 55 years ago today I was learning the importance of using whatever gift

 4.7-

55 years ago today I was learning the importance of using whatever gift you have been given to help others.
I was with a group of people I had never seen before that day, though they lived near where I grew up. I had heard the name of one of them. He was an influential man who supervised a bunch of teachers and students in our area. When teachers and principals needed help he was a resource person to lead the leaders. He was a member of a small congregation. In the same group was a farmer who had been asked to help the small group sing some favorite songs, “Amazing Grace” “The Old Rugged Cross.”
When people come together to help each other to have hope it is a marvelous sight. Some in the group were talented and some of us were just doing the best we could and some were just beginning to try to teach about the ways of love.
I am drawn to groups where the people are treated with equality. Learning what true love looks like is more easily reflected where all people regardless of their education or jobs are treated with respect as fellow travelers in the journey of life.
I marked this day on my calendar because it was the first time I had the experience of someone needing a fill in minister to come and speak about God’s love at their church. Though I was a school teacher and coach at the time, I was yearning to help others know that God is love.
Where you find love you find God at work there. If you see a big, expensive building that claims to be a church and there is no love there it does not have the sign of being truly a church.
Whether the tunes are off key or the group is large or small, you can be sure it they are building people up in love that they are on key with the harmony God has in mind for his children.

1 Peter 4.
The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see