6.4- Train wreck killed two young people. A spiritual memorial day.

6.4

Memorial Day for Spiritual Soldiers

August 29, 1959 was a hard day in my hometown of Ladonia, Texas. A train wreck killed one of our most outstanding students, Gene Turman. He was a great student and athlete and loved by all who knew him. I remember that our whole community was saddened by this tragic event. He had been called by God to be a minister and his gravestone includes these words from Scripture,
“I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4.7

Yesterday as I thought about the death of soldiers who had died for our country I thought also about soldiers of Jesus Christ who had been an influence me in my own life. Because human life includes death and judgement there is an awareness that how we live affects how we die and how we are remembered. Those of us who are Christian believe that our eternal home in heaven is set by the grace and mercy of God, not by our own works. The truth is that our choices in life do have consequences and the greater our hope in God the greater we grow in our love of God’s ways. Jesus taught that life includes learning about the nature of human life.

John 5.
"25 Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; 27 and He gave Him authority to execute judgment, because He is [f]the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment."

Jesus teaches that our choices have consequences in this life and in the next life. I am thankful for the good examples of young and old who have gone on, but their example of a Godly life remains to teach us. I will be reminded today to thank God for His mercy and grace to us. If you are young don’t take life for granted. Live a life guided by a love for God and your neighbor.

Larry Wishard
5.29.18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see