3.24-Choose Rejoicing over Self-Pity

3.24-Choose Rejoicing over Self-Pity

When I lived in Denver Colorado there was a man there who was highly educated, but humbly used his scholarship and knowledge to write about how faith in God could improve one’s mental health. Vernon Grounds was the president of the Seminary where I did a lot of study. I watched him bounce around the library into his eighties spreading a big smile and much encouragement. I used to tell him I wanted to be like him when I hit 80.

He wrote a devotional saying that the famous song writer, Fanny Crosby, lost her sight at six weeks. He said that on her 92nd birthday she said she thought she was the happiest person in the world and if there were someone happier she would like to meet them. She had chosen rejoicing over self-pity.
The person teaching the good news of Jesus Christ does not have to a have a perfect life in order to help others during their hard times. In fact it is in our hard times that we can help others in hard times.

I was influenced by my father and mother who were influenced by their parents to consider Jesus as their teacher. They both had lived through the depression and some other hard times. Dad’s mom had seven children and one on the way when her husband died. Can you imagine that kind of hard time?
I read in my book Milton Memories that my grandmother Wishard had a favorite verse that is also one of my favorites.

“No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.”
1 Corinthians 10.12,13

Rejoice. Always rejoice.
Larry Wishard
3.8.20



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9.4- Broken eggs.

9.2- There was this grasshopper who appeared to be very old and very wounded.

9.3- I have been given a bed to go to sleep in where a window is high and laying on my back I can see